A Brief History of Hickory United Methodist Church
Hickory United Methodist Church was founded in September, 1953 by 78 charter members. They rented a space in the former Hickory Fine Foods which was located on East State Street.
The Rev. Newton Swanson, the church’s first minister, was instrumental in leading the church to its current location. Land for the church was purchased in 1954 from the George McConnell family. Architects Hunter, Heiges and Gross, along with contractor Gene Smith were hired as builders and members of the church volunteered many hours of labor during the construction.
Ground breaking ceremonies were held in March of 1956. Dr. Bruce Middaugh, District Superintendent, gave the initial spiritual message, with the new church’s choir providing music.
When the construction of the Fellowship Hall was finished the services were held here until the sanctuary was completed.
Ground was broken on October 14, 1962 for a new sanctuary. The cornerstone was laid April 7, 1963. The congregation moved September 15, 1963 into a new sanctuary and held a special service. Worship began in the Fellowship Hall and part way through the service the congregation marched outside and into the new sanctuary. Members carried the altar cross, candlestick holders, offering plates, and hymnals. The service concluded in the new sanctuary.
Since that time the Hickory congregation has continued to march in the Christian services. The cross is still the center of worship where we see clearly the love of Jesus and our call to commitment. Each Sunday the candles are lit to remind us God is present and His light shines for all people. Hickory United Methodist Church continues to let that light shine in our day to day living as we have and will continue to witness for Jesus. The offering plate today represents many years of giving to share the Good News.
Through worship, Christian Education and Mission Service, team members are called into ministry. The singing of hymns and choruses still echo in our sanctuary of God’s amazing grace that is alive in our hearts and free for all. We welcome you to join in this march as we grow together in the service of Jesus our Lord and Savior.